Dr. Stephen McInerney
Senior Lecturer in Literature
BA Hons (ANU) PhD (Syd) DipEdSt (CoT, London) DipTh (Cambridge)
Stephen McInerney (b. 1976) holds a Doctorate from the University of Sydney (2006), and a Bachelor of Arts (with First Class Honours) from the Australian National University, where he was awarded the University Medal in English in 1999. His doctoral dissertation, The Enclosure of An Open Mystery: Sacrament and Incarnation in the Writings of Gerard Manley Hopkins, David Jones and Les Murray was published by Peter Lang in 2012. In the same year he completed an Advanced Diploma in Theology and Religious Studies at the University of Cambridge, and was awarded the Theological Studies Prize.
Part of the original faculty at Campion, Stephen has taught across the entire literature curriculum offered by the College.
A published poet, his first volume of poetry was recommended in the Times Literary Supplement Books of the Year in 2002. His new volume, The Wind Outside (2016), was recently published by Hardie Grant Publishers.
- The Wind Outside. Hardie Grant, 2016.
- The Enclosure of An Open Mystery: Sacrament and Incarnation in the Writings of Gerard Manley Hopkins, David Jones and Les Murray. Peter Lang, 2012.
- “Integration”, in Luciano Boschiero, ed. On the Purpose of a University Education (Melbourne: Australian Scholarly Publishing, 2013): 34-47.
- “History, Theology and Development in the Thought of Newman”, in Brian Coman, et.al, The Christian View of History and the Revival of the Liberal Arts: A Special Edition of Conor Court Quarterly (Ballan: Conor Court, 2012): 271-284.
- “David Jones’s Blessed Rage for Order: The ‘Will Toward Shape’”, Logos, Vol. 14: 2 (Spring, 2011): 59-81
- “Integrated Learning: Some Reflections on Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein” in Geoffrey Caban, ed. Education Through the Liberal Arts (Kensington: Warrane College Monographs, 2010): pp. 61-66.
- Chapter 12: “ ‘Art with its Largesse and its own Restraint’: The sacramental poetics of Elizabeth Jennings and Les Murray”, in Mary Reichardt, ed. Between Human and Divine: The Catholic Vision in Contemporary Literature (Washington D.C: Catholic University of America Press, 2010): pp. 207-225.
- “Les Murray”, The New Catholic Encyclopedia: Supplement 2011- Literature, Music and the Arts (Washington D.C.: Gale Publishing, June 2011).
- “Elizabeth Jennings”, The New Catholic Encyclopedia: Supplement 2011 – Literature, Music and the Arts (Washington D.C.: Gale Publishing, June 2011).
- “Seamus Heaney”, The New Catholic Encyclopedia: Supplement 2011 – Literature, Music and Arts (Washington D.C.: Gale Publishing, June 2011).
- “Ideas for a Way of Life” and “A Summer Morning, Sydney”, in Geoffrey Lehmann and Robert Gray, eds. Australian Poetry Since 1788 (Kensington: UNSW Press, 2011).
- “Sonnet to Women” in Jamie Grant, ed. 100 Australian Poems of Love and Loss. (Melbourne: Hardie Grant, 2011): p. 93.
- “After Wendy Cope” in Jamie Grant, ed. 100 Australian Poems You Need to Know (Melbourne: Hardie Grant, 2008): p. 227.