Campion College provides academic assistance to students through the College’s Study Skills Advisor. The Librarian and Study Skills Advisor assists students in developing and enhancing those generic skills crucial to learning and communicating ideas in a tertiary context. These include skills such as…
- critical reading
- note taking
- structuring and writing essays
- developing an argument
- preparing and delivering oral presentations
- preparing effectively for exams
- effective time-management
- correct grammar and proof reading.
The Study Skills Advisor runs a number of workshops in Semester 1. These are designed to assist students transitioning into tertiary education and assist them in understanding the requirements of scholarly activity. The workshops are focused on key skills and practises, providing a foundation for students to develop over the course of the semester. The topics range from how to navigate and use the library catalogue, to how to have a study-life balance though effective time and stress management.
During Semester 2, the Study Skills Advisor conducts workshops to prepare students for the workforce and life after Campion. These practical workshops aim to help students develop the knowledge and skills they need to obtain work while studying, determine their career preferences, and apply for further study and job opportunities after graduating.
Workshops may include:
- Getting Started: Being organised and managing your time
- Making the most of Lectures and Tutorials
- Developing Critical Thinking Skills
- Referencing and How to Avoid Plagiarism
- Research and Reading Techniques
- Effective Oral Presentations and Public Speaking
- Essay Planning and Writing
- Managing Stress and Burnout
- Succeeding in Exams
- Writing Resumes and Cover Letters
- Planning Your Career and Setting Goals
- Networking and Developing Interpersonal Skills
- University Course Selection and Transition to Further Study
- Writing a Research Proposal
- Preparing for Interviews
- Skills for the Workplace
The Library offers information on careers advice and services, with careers workshops held in Semester 2. Please contact the Learning Skills Advisor for more details.
Individuals can book appointments to see the Learning Skills Advisor for assistance with their study practices. Please contact Keziah at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Study Skills Resources
The Library provides a variety of handouts providing information on various study topics.
- Essay Planning & Writing
- Essay Writing Handbook
- Oral Presentations
- Preparing for Exams
- Referencing & Citations
- Assessment Presentation
- Time Management
- Study Skills Handbook
- Choosing and Using Online Resources
The Librarian is available to provide reference assistance to all students.
Online Study Tools
The Write Site: http://writesite.elearn.usyd.edu.au/
The Write Site provides online support to help you develop your academic and professional writing skills.
Clearer Writing: http://learningcentre.usyd.edu.au/clearer_writing/
The Clearer Writing site is an interactive course designed to assist you in developing clarity of written expression.
Purdue University Online Writing Lab (OWL): https://owl.english.purdue.edu/
An online writing resource to help you develop your writing skills across a range of subjects and formats.
Library hours during semester
|9am – |
|9am – |
|9am – |
|9am – |
|9am – |
|1pm – |