GRE202: Classical Greek IV (Intermediate)
|Diploma of Classical Languages
|Indicative contact hours
|3 hours per week
This unit consolidates and builds on the knowledge and skills acquired in previous units. In this unit, if they have not already done so, students complete the formal study of the Greek language. In GRE202, students are guided to apply their knowledge acquired throughout the course in the reading of longer extracts from Greek authors of prose and/or verse. Students learn how to read Greek poetry with attention to the metre.
On completion of the unit students will have:
- An understanding of the concepts of Greek grammar covered in this unit.
- A deeper understanding of the material covered in previous units.
- Knowledge of Greek vocabulary and grammar, including syntax, appropriate to this level and knowledge of the fundamental principles of Greek prosody
- An understanding of the problems connected with the study of ancient languages.
- The ability to participate effectively and confidently in group work and practical exercises in tutorials.
Students may enrol in GRE202 if they have completed GRE201. Otherwise they may only enrol if they have a sufficiently advanced, and demonstrable, knowledge of ancient Greek sufficient for this unit
Interested in other Greek units?